Home buyers may assume their new home is energy-efficient, but the best way to be sure is to talk to your builder. Here is a list of questions you may ask your builder.
• Any builder can claim to build energy-efficient homes. How do I know your homes are truly energy efficient?
• Since all builders must meet the requirements of the building code, what makes your homes different from other builders’ homes?
• How do your building techniques reflect the latest developments in housing technology?
• What steps do you take to improve the energy efficiency of the homes you build?
• Can you predict what my energy costs will be?
• What makes your homes more environmentally friendly than others?
• Do you participate in the Government of Canada’s energy efficiency initiatives for new homes?
• Do you affix a government-backed energy label to the home?
• Do independent, licensed professionals inspect the energy efficiency of your homes?
• Do you build homes that receive an EnerGuide rating of 80 or higher or its equivalent?
Are you getting the answers you want? You may find more information on this topic by visiting the Natural Resources Canada website at www.newhomes.nrcan.gc.ca or by ordering brochures at 1-800-387-2000.
*EnerGuide is an official mark of Natural Resources Canada
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018
- Candy Cane Pavlova - November 12, 2018
- Designer Space: Christmas Treasure Box - November 12, 2018