Do you have a renovation project on your to-do list this summer? This may mean you are about to hire a contractor.
Most of us have heard a contractor horror story through a friend, family member, or have seen it on a home improvement show. Many things could go wrong. Whether it’s work not performed to code, not meeting your desired specifications, unexpected delays, or costs going way over budget, home renovations can be a stressful endeavour.
“Spending thousands of dollars on your home is a big decision, so selecting the right contractor is an important step,” says Glenn Cooper from Aviva Canada. “While stories of renovation nightmares are frequent, there are thousands of reputable contractors out there. A little preparation beforehand will certainly ease the stress.”
A survey by the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation reports that out of the 40 percent of households in 10 Canadian markets who renovate their home, about three quarters hire a contractor. Here are four important tips before you do:
- Ask for referrals: Know someone who renovated their home? Ask them to refer contractors that they’ve used and had great success with – especially on similar projects.
- Look for consistency and permanence: The ideal service provider would have a physical business office and has been in business for a number of years under the same name.
- Do a legal check: Ensure contractors are licensed by your province and that they have the proper insurance – meaning they are covered if they are injured during the project.
- Notify your insurer: Contact your insurance broker to discuss if any of the renovations will require an adjustment to your home policy.
More information is available from your insurance broker or from avivacanada.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 11 Bathroom Renovation Ideas to Freshen Up Your Bathroom - December 13, 2018
- Designer Space: Simple Drama - December 13, 2018
- Designer Space: Vintage Modern Renovation - December 11, 2018