‘Tis the season for celebrating with family and friends. So Hydro One has eight helpful tips about saving on your electricity bill while you entertain:
- Where possible, do laundry, run the dishwasher and cook during off-peak periods after 7 p.m. or on weekends and holidays. Remember December 25 and 26 are considered holidays but not December 24.
- On-peak is 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Mid-peak is 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Off-peak is 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- When cooking on your stove top, match the size of the pan to the heating element – more heat will get to the pan and less will be lost.
- Using the oven for holiday baking? Check on your treats by looking through the window. Opening the oven door, even for a few seconds, will lower the internal temperature of the oven.
- Delicious leftovers? Allow leftovers to cool before placing them in the fridge or freezer.
- Pass on oven preheating. While preheating may be necessary for baking, it’s not needed for things like roasts or casseroles.
- Time your holiday cheer. Put your outdoor lights on a CSA-approved outdoor timer to only have them on during off-peak hours and turn them off overnight.
- Lower the thermostat: If you are entertaining guests, consider lowering the temperature in your home. The increased body heat and cooking will help keep your house warm. If you are going to be away, lower the thermostat for the period while you are gone.
- Close the fireplace damper: Leaving your damper open when a fire isn’t burning sucks warm air out.
More information is available at www.HydroOne.com/SaveEnergy.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Designer Kitchen Renovation: At the Heart of It All - May 18, 2018
- Laid Back Kitchen Makeover - May 18, 2018
- Expert Advice: Kitchen Budget Priorities - May 18, 2018