There’s nothing sweeter than the joys of baking a fresh batch of cookies – especially the end results. Whether you’re baking for family, friends or treating yourself to a tasty delight, consider these simple tips the next time you’re pulling out the egg beaters and measuring cups to guarantee soft and chewy cookies every time.
Substitute margarine for butter: Margarine is the baker’s best friend. It can be used straight from the fridge to help you make some of the softest and chewiest cookies around. Not only that, soft non-hydrogenated margarine, like Becel Buttery Taste margarine, contains 80 per cent less saturated fat than butter, and has zero trans-fat. It can be substituted on a 1:1 ratio in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.
Take your time with prep: Measure out ingredients beforehand to ensure you have exactly what you need. This will save time and avoid forgetting any steps.
Be creative: Think outside the recipe box and create your own custom cookies with Becel Anything Goes Cookie Dough! This kitchen tested bakery-style cookie dough is the perfect base to create all your favourite cookie recipes. Satisfy any craving by adding blueberries, cranberries, flaxseeds, cinnamon, chocolate chips, oatmeal or almonds. One cookie recipe, endless options!
Let it cool completely before taking a bite: Hands off – even after you remove your treats from the oven, flavours are still developing and textures are setting in.
Anything Goes Cookie Dough Skillet Pumpkin Snack Cakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
• 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda
• 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
• 1 cup (250 mL) Becel Buttery Taste margarine
• 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
• 1 cup unsweetened pure pumpkin puree
• 1 cup semi‐sweet chocolate chips (optional)
• 1 tsp. PLUS 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
• 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
• 3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
• 2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
• 1 Tbsp. milk
Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C). Spray large nonstick, ovenproof skillet with no‐stick cooking spray; set aside. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Beat Becel Buttery Taste margarine with sugars in large bowl using electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in pumpkin, chocolate chips (optional), 1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon and ginger. Spread into prepared skillet. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Combine cream cheese, remaining 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, confectioners sugar and milk in small bowl.
Drizzle over cake. Cut into 24 pieces.
More nutrition information and baking ideas are available at Becel.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018