Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this delectable dish will quickly become a family favourite. The pairing of sweet and savoury flavours, created by Marjolaine Lambert of Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec for the D'Italiano Cook-Off Challenge, is a lovely way to start any day. More tasty recipes can be found online at www.ditaliano.ca.
- 4 slices D'Italiano Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 slices cooked smoked ham (or capicola or prosciutto), cut into strips
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) apple juice, white wine or cider
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) mushrooms, diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded cheese (Emmenthal, cheddar, Sbrinz or other)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Espelette chilli or paprika
- Family version: Toast each slice of D'Italiano bread lightly, then place on a baking sheet.
- Feast version: For each slice of bread, remove the crust, cut into a circle, then roll flat using a rolling pin. Line a buttered muffin pan with the slices, then put in the oven at 375°F (190°C) until lightly browned. Unmould and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the ham on the 4 pieces of toasted bread.
- In a skillet, melt half the butter and stir fry the apples for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, then layer on top of the ham and sprinkle with juice, wine or cider (about 1 tbsp (15 mL) for each slice).
- In the same skillet, add the remaining butter and fry the mushrooms until golden brown. Add the green onion, stir and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks with the cheese, then add mushrooms and green onion.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and stir into the cheese and mushroom mixture. Spread mixture on top of the ham and apples.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 10 to 12 minutes, until the tops are well browned. Remove from oven, sprinkle with Espelette chilli or paprika and serve with fresh apple slices.
Tip: Recipe can be prepared a day ahead and reheated a few minutes before serving.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Designer Kitchen Renovation: At the Heart of It All - May 18, 2018
- Laid Back Kitchen Makeover - May 18, 2018
- Expert Advice: Kitchen Budget Priorities - May 18, 2018