Burger lovers who shy away from soy will love this vegetarian version. Brown rice and lentils form the base of this tasty patty, topped with a lively relish.
- Large Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced 4
- Finely chopped sweet onion 1/2 cup 125 mL
- Balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Chopped fresh basil 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp. 30 mL
- Liquid honey 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Dried crushed chilies 1/2 tsp. 2 mL
- Salt 1/4 tsp. 1 mL
- Olive oil 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Chopped fresh brown mushrooms 2 cups 500 mL
- Chopped sweet onion 1 cup 250 mL
- Garlic cloves, minced 2
- Finely chopped red pepper 1 cup 250 mL
- Canned lentils, rinsed and drained 1 1/2 cups 375 mL
- Large egg, fork-beaten 1
- Cooked brown rice 1 1/2 cups 375 mL
- Fine dry bread crumbs 1/4 cup 60 mL
- Montreal steak spice 2 tsp. 10 mL
- Pumpernickel cocktail bread slices 12
- Combine first 8 ingredients and let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour to blend flavours.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high. Add next 3 ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms are browned.
- Add red pepper and cook for about 3 minutes until tender-crisp and liquid is evaporated. Transfer to food processor.
- Add lentils and process with on/off motion until lentils are mashed but not puréed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in remaining 4 ingredients and divide into 12 portions. Shape portions into patties, about 2 1/2 inches (6.4 cm) in diameter. Grill on direct medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side until heated through.
- Top each bread slice with 1 patty. Drain liquid from tomato mixture. Spoon tomato mixture over patties.
The patties can be made up to one day ahead.
Reprinted from Practical Gourmet Good Friends, Great Grilling © Company’s Coming Publishing Limited www.companyscoming.com