Pantry staples like canned beans and pasta sauce are combined with fresh shredded veggies to create a delicious and nutritious baked burrito that kids and adults will love.
Shopping Tip: Look for “no fat” and “no added oil” when shopping for healthier pasta sauce options. Plus, stock up on spices; cayenne pepper adds the Mexican flare without adding sodium!
Healthy Cooking tip: Want to quickly add more protein to your Burritos without the extra sodium? Use downtime to roast a whole chicken. Remove meat and store in your fridge. Freeze the bones for when you have spare time to make your own, low-sodium chicken broth.
- 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) Healthy Choice Traditional pasta sauce, divided (see below)
- 2 small 6-inch (15 cm) low sodium multigrain flour tortillas
- ½ cup (125 mL) low sodium refried beans
- ½ cup (125 mL) each: shredded carrots and zucchini
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced cooked chicken
- 4 tbsp. shredded cheese (about 1/2 cup/ 125 mL)
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) finely chopped cilantro, for garnish
- ¼ cup (50 mL) guacamole (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C; place tortillas on working surface.
- On each tortilla, evenly spread ¼ cup (50 mL) beans; top with ¼ cup (50 mL) each: shredded carrots, zucchini and diced chicken. Top with 1/8 cup (30 mL) Healthy Choice Traditional pasta sauce: roll each tortilla around ingredients and place seam-side down in oven proof baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup (250 mL) Healthy Choice Traditional pasta sauce and shredded cheese and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp. (.6 mL) cayenne pepper (optional); bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are slightly browned.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with an optional side of guacamole.
Visit Facebook.com/HealthyChoiceCanada for more recipes and cooking tips.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019