Defining the limits of your property is important for a variety of reasons, including privacy, security and safety.
“Ultimately, the fence has to fit with how you use your yard,” says Margie Spence, a broker with Royal LePage Niagara Real Estate, in St. Catharines, Ontario. “The challenge comes in finding something that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing,” she adds. Spence recommends reviewing these three scenarios to determine where your fencing needs may fit:
1. Privacy. If you are looking to create more privacy for your home, solid wood fences are a good option. Most fences built for privacy stand about six feet high. They are available in varieties of wood types, with cedar and spruce being the most popular. Lattice-tops can add aesthetic appeal, and a myriad of building designs are available. Ask your local building centre for wood fence and gate design ideas or do some research online.
2. Safety. For backyards with pools, a fence with limited horizontal rails is recommended. This will ward off trespassers from using the fence as a ladder to get into the pool area. Also, a gate with a spring latch is a bylaw requirement in most municipalities. Black aluminum fencing is typically produced with vertical spindles, often emulating wrought iron design, and provides good sight lines for pool areas.
3. Security. Keeping children or pets safe in the yard is paramount for any family. Chain-link fencing is strong, reliable, and affordable. Whether you have a dog that jumps or one that digs, chain-link fences can be built to suit the needs of your pet. Although it is one of the less aesthetically appealing options, chain-link fencing lends to safety and won’t break your budget.
Whether you are looking to create your own private oasis or add more security and safety to your home, there is a fence for you. More information, including homeowner tips, is available online at www.royallepage.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018