Both decadent and quick to prepare with few ingredients, these peanutty macaroons are sure to be a welcome addition to your holiday baking lineup. Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2¾ cups (675 mL) sweetened coconut, flaked or shredded
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites with sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined. Stir in coconut and peanuts.
- Using 2 dessert spoons (as mixture is sticky), gather a heaping tablespoon (about 22 mL) of the mixture. Place on baking sheet and form into a tight mound. Repeat with remaining mixture, stirring mixture in bowl occasionally. Set macaroons about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 1 sheet at time until tops of cookies are golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes. If macaroons aren't perfectly shaped, edges can be trimmed with scissors, if desired.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Then remove to a rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.