A new trend in interior design, the in-home bar allows homeowners to design a space for casual entertaining that mimics a favourite watering hole.
“The combination of functionality and style is key to creating the ultimate in-home bar, and your chosen decor, fixtures and accessories can make you feel like a pro,” says Trevor Burnett, a beverage consultant at Tipicular Fixin’s in Toronto. “Mix in the right people, a bit of music and some festive drinks, and your bar could be the new neighbourhood hot spot.”
Whether you’ll be pulling pints or channeling your inner cocktail superstar, follow these tips for creating a bar in your home.
Styling your space
- Coordinate cabinetry, counter tops and bar stools to complement your kitchen or basement’s existing décor.
- Appliances like bar and wine fridges and ice makers ensure that your various libations are kept cool, while blenders and juicers allow you to show creative flair.
- Consider installing a bar/prep faucet. Ideas are found at deltafaucet.ca. The Trinsic, for example, with Touch2O Technology is a sleek, compact design which brings form and function to smaller spaces.
Shaken or stirred?
- Equip your bar with beverage staples, including a variety of beers, wines, spirits, sodas and freshly-squeezed juices to ensure you can prepare any cocktail.
- A cocktail recipe book can help you achieve world-class cocktails and mocktails, like Trevor’s family friendly signature Spicy Island Splendour mocktail.
Spicy Island Splendour
- ½ oz lime juice
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1 oz lemon juice
- Ginger beer
- ¼ oz grenadine
- Ground nutmeg
Shake lime, lemon and orange juices in a large ice-filled shaker, and strain into a glass filled with crushed ice. Top with ginger beer, float grenadine over mixture and sprinkle with nutmeg. Garnish with an orange wheel skewered with a cherry.
For adults, add 1 ½ oz of spiced rum.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018