Do you want to have a functional, attractive kitchen even if it’s a small space? The key is to maximize the space you have by using it in the most productive way and choosing elements that add the illusion of space. Design can make a small space look bigger than it really is.
* Choose Your Style. No matter the size of your kitchen, you won’t like it if it’s not decorated in a way that is pleasing to you. You can choose rustic, contemporary, country, modern or many other styles to design your kitchen. This will also include deciding how you will use the space. Do you like to do a lot of cooking? Do you have antique dishes that you want to display? Maybe you’re a collector of cookbooks. Knowing what you will put in the kitchen and what you will do in there is a part of choosing your design.
* Look for Ways to Open Up the Room. You can make a room look bigger by using open shelving or glass fronts on cabinets. Keeping clutter to a minimum will also enlarge a space. If you have extra pans or dishes, store them out of sight. Keep very few items on the counters and it will give the illusion of more space. You can put small appliances like toasters and blenders in a cabinet instead of leaving them on the counter when not in use. Keep the counters as empty as possible.
* Choose the Right Appliances. You will need to select appliances large enough for your needs but not so big as to overpower a small kitchen. Position them close together to put them in easy reach while you are cooking. It will also prevent you from having to walk around other people who are in the kitchen and making it feel crowded.
* Select Light Colours. Lighter colours make a room feel larger. White appliances and cabinets or lightwood will make a room feel spacious. Dark wood will make the room look even smaller than it is. A bit of bright colour in accessories will also open up a room and make it look cheerful. You can even use colour on the countertops or backsplash.
* Islands are a space saver. If you have an eat-in kitchen, installing an island can be a great way to save more space. They often have extra storage and work space and double as an eating-place instead of buying a table.
* Have Sufficient Lighting. Lighting makes a room look bigger so if you don’t have enough windows to let in plenty of natural light, consider ways to add lighting to your kitchen. Track lighting is an affordable choice and can be placed anywhere more light is needed.
Choosing the best design for a small kitchen takes a little planning but it’s not impossible. With the right plan, you can have a kitchen that you will enjoy using and love for many years to come.
Isaac writes on behalf of Cliq Studios a home improvements business who design, manufacture and sell quality kitchen cabinets which come with a lifetime warranty. Use the Cliq Studios website to visualise your new kitchen, request free kitchen samples or check kitchen cabinet prices. Whatever your requirement – trust Cliq Studios’ Kitchen Cabinets to exceed expectations.