Prepare yourself for an exciting flavour sensation that combines your favourite indulgent appetizers into one delicious dish. Topped with mouth-watering bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, this cheesy pizza bread is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any get-together. The recipe is a creation of Nelson Lacourse from Red Deer, Alberta, a finalist in the D'Italiano Cook-Off Challenge. More tasty recipes can be found online at www.ditaliano.ca.
- 1 lb (500 g) bacon
- 5 jalapenos
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain cream cheese
- 1 mango, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 D'Italiano Garlic Bread
- 1 cup (250 mL) pizza sauce
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) provolone cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a frying pan, cook half of bacon, leaving the other half to wrap jalapeno poppers. Cut or break cooked bacon pieces in half.
- Cut stemmed jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese and place one piece of mango on each. Wrap each stuffed jalapeno with a piece of uncooked bacon.
- Place bacon-wrapped jalapenos on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While jalapenos are in the oven, cut the D'Italiano garlic bread in half lengthwise and place each half on a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side up. Spread pizza sauce on the open-faced bread and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- After removing from the oven, place jalapeno poppers on bread and sprinkle with grated provolone and Asiago cheeses, and top with cooked bacon pieces.
- Place back in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for 5 to 10 minutes. If desired, you can broil to brown the cheese on top. Remove from oven and cut into 10 individual servings for guests.