Gingerbread is an iconic holiday treat enjoyed all over the world. So this year, why not update this favourite tradition with a beautiful gingerbread pie? Ingredients like molasses, brown sugar and nutmeg deliver festive flavours in every bite, and cute pastry gingerbread men add a whimsical and stylish final touch. More seasonal recipes are available at www.tenderflake.ca.
- 2 Tenderflake frozen deep dish pie shells, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (150 mL) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 mL) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) molasses
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipped topping
- White icing
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake one pie shell according to package directions. Remove the second pie shell from the foil pan and place on a lightly floured work surface. Using a 2” (5 cm) gingerbread man-shaped cookie cutter, cut 8-10 pieces and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with egg and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Heat butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until bubbly. Whisk in cream and molasses and stir until it begins to simmer.
- Whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, spices and salt in a small bowl. Slowly add a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Add the egg mixture back into the hot cream mixture and continue to stir over medium heat until thickened and just starting to boil.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Cover the surface with plastic wrap directly on the filling and chill until set, at least four hours.
- Decorate the gingerbread man pastry shapes with icing. Arrange shapes on top with whipped topping just before serving.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Marc & Mandy’s Holiday Gift Guide 2018 - December 7, 2017
- Five Things to Look for When Interviewing a Home Remodeling Contractor - December 6, 2017
- Designer Space: All in the Details - November 30, 2017