In the world of design you could get on a plane January 1 and return to the office on Jan 30 with the number of shows available to attend! We can’t be at a show for the whole month so we have to pick and choose which to go to. Here are the highlights from our January travels!
1) The Las Vegas Furniture Market — a brilliant show with many must-see features.
There is always a huge collection of suppliers that come from around the world to show at the market.
- Interview with Christopher Guy, a furniture designer with an international reputation for fine work and interesting pieces.
- Reveal of furniture custom made for the Georgian Room at Harrods in London, England.
- Canadian suppliers like Sun Pan Imports who have permanent show rooms in Las Vegas.
- Amazing party with Roger Thomas, many American HGTV stars, Christopher Guy, Corey Damien, etc.
- Carlton Varney is honoured as Design Icon – Head of Dorothy Draper & Co. Inc. (one of the oldest design firms in the USA)
- Designs in hotels like Winn, Palazo, Caesars Palace, etc.
- KBIS – Kitchen & Bath show that runs the same time as the Furniture Market.
- International Construction Show – runs in Las Vegas the same week.
2) Interior Design Show – was directly on the heels of the Las Vegas show.
- Jenn Air introduced Obsidian in the fridge category where the interior of the fridge is black instead of white with a ring of LED lights that surround the opening. All the food in the fridge looked like “art” on the black background. Reds, oranges, greens and yellows all look spectacular.
- Blanco Canada introduces Silgranite sinks in Cinder (warm grey).
- Loved the outdoor furniture from Andrew Richard Designs which really managed to bring the indoors out.
- Living Lighting with graffiti painted shades were truly “one-of-a-kind.” We love Jodi (the store owner) for her ingenuity and creativity.
- Victoria + Albert shows new tubs and vanities in beautiful shapes and materials.
3) CGTA – The Canadian Gift Show’s Canadian manufacturers and wholesalers
- We launched two new designs with VanGogh furniture – the GJ Bean which is slightly cured and bean shaped and The Remington with its T seat cushion in a bench seat and tight back.
- Torre and Tagus showed some amazing new pieces as part of the Yanic Simard collection.
- A vast collection of Canadian designers managed to get together for a party at the building.
- Gold and blue were very popular at the market.
- Style in Form showed many hand crafted pieces in natural woods or gold metals.
4) NY NOW 2015
- The showrooms of the New York Design Centre are amazing to shop at. Century Furniture, Bakes and Kopps kitchens are stunning. Curry and Co, DIRTT Environmental Solutions, Thom Filicia – to name just a few amazing showrooms.
- Loved the Mirrors by Elyse Graham that looked like they were hitting a puddle of coloured water.
- Loved the Casca Bowl by RabLab – carved from quartz with polished center and natural sides.
- Tom Dixons copper desk set complete with pens and staplers, rulers and tape dispenser.
- Loved the Tom Dixon bar wear collection with gold accents and geometric shapes.
- Visit to ABC Home with some 20000 sq ft of furniture in the heart of Manhattan.
5) ROM VIP Art Presentation
- The opening of the Douglas Copland, a very notable Canadian artist, hosted his own exhibit opening at the Royal Ontario Museum. We were guests of the Toronto Dominion Bank and highly recommend seeing the exhibit when it comes across the country and world.
6) Mille Grazie Stone Edge
- Every year Stone Edge hosts a party called “Mille Grazie”, Italian for “ A Million Thanks”, to show appreciation to their clients and friends. They supply the Property Brothers, Love it or List it, Income Property along with a whole host of designers in the city. This year marked ten years. The party was vast and played host to about one thousand people. There where musical and magical performances including brilliant Brazilian dancers and acrobats.
7) Niagara Market Shaw Carpets
- Shaw Carpets holds an annual conference for product coming to the market. Approximately 15 designers from the area are invited to view new product.
- Some highlights:
i. Bound area rugs from any broadloom
ii. Vast selection of commercial carpet tiles
iii. Luxury vinyl hardwood look planks
iv. Classic patterns and some new amazing cut pile carpets to come to market soon!