Barbecue season is upon us — finally! — and it's time to heat things up with tried-and-true classics and some bold new ideas. This summer, veggies on the grill are on-trend, according to the 2016 Grilling Flavour Forecast by McCormick. So try these thick-cut cabbage steaks with smoky bacon and crumbled blue cheese. Trust us, you'll want to eat your veggies.
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Club House La Grille Smouldering Smoked Applewood Seasoning
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 1 green cabbage, cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick slices (about 6 steaks)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Mix seasoning, oil, vinegar, syrup and reserved bacon drippings in small bowl until well blended. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) marinade. Place cabbage steaks in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer for extra flavour. Remove cabbage steaks from marinade. Reserve any leftover marinade.
- Grill cabbage steaks over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until tender-crisp, brushing with leftover marinade. Serve cabbage steaks topped with blue cheese, bacon and green onions.
- Drizzle cabbage with reserved marinade.
Get inspired with even more barbecue tips and recipes at grillewisdom.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018