Serve this colourful and flavourful main-course vegetable dish over couscous, bulgur or brown rice. The chickpeas and grain complement each other to form complete protein.
- 2 carrots, sliced 2
- 2 cups cubed peeled squash (about 1-inch/2.5 cm pieces) 500 mL
- 2 cups broccoli florets 500 mL
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips 1
- 1 small (6-inch/15 cm) yellow zucchini, cut in chunks 1
- 1 red onion, cut in thin wedges 1
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 2 tbsp minced gingerroot 25 mL
- 1 tbsp curry powder or paste 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes 1 mL
- ½ cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth or water 125 mL
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 25 mL
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice, couscous or bulgur 750 mL
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley 50 mL
- Steam carrots and squash for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, red pepper, zucchini and red onion; steam for 5 minutes. Add chickpeas; steam for 3 to 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender- crisp.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook gingerroot, curry powder, cumin, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice; simmer, covered, of 2 minutes. Toss vegetables with sauce.
- Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with coriander or parsley.
“Excerpted from Lighthearted at Home. Copyright (c) 2010 by Anne Lindsay & Associates Ltd. Excerpted with permission of the publisher John Wiley & Sons Canada, Ltd.”
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018