When mid-morning or afternoon hunger hits, that dreaded energy drain can make us reach for a little boost. It is tempting to grab indulgent snack foods, so it’s wise to plan out well-portioned, healthy snacks ahead of time.
These perfect portion ideas from the Almond Board of California make smart snacking decisions easy:
• A nutritious snack is packed with nutrients and has fewer than 200 calories.
• Energy-boosting snacks should contain protein, fibre and very little added sugar.
• A perfect portion of almonds is one ounce (28g) or 23 almonds – about a handful – and contains 3.5 grams of fibre and 6 grams of protein.
• One tablespoon (15 mL) of almond butter has about 100 calories, 1 gram of fibre and 2 grams of protein to help keep you satisfied until your next meal.
Try these power-pairings for the ideal mid-morning or mid-afternoon pick-me-up:
• Whole-grain bread or apple slices with almond butter;
• A small handful of whole natural almonds and dried fruit;
• Sliced turkey with mustard;
• Low-fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and granola;
• Air-popped vegetable chips or soy chips and hummus;
• Handful of whole natural almonds and an ounce of cheese;
• An ounce each of dark chocolate and almonds.
Or, assemble this bite-sized snack. With only three ingredients, it is simple to prepare, plus the 6 grams of protein and 3.5 grams of fibre will provide you with energy during those mid-morning or afternoon slumps.
Makes 2 cups
½ cup (125 mL) dried black or golden figs
¼ cup (50 mL) reduced-fat cream cheese¼ cup (50 mL) whole natural almonds
Make a lengthwise slit in each fig, not cutting all the way through. Spread a teaspoon of cream cheese inside each hole, and stuff with one or two almonds. Serve.
More information is available online at AlmondBoard.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019