Weekends are a treasured time to spend catching up on chores or relaxing with friends and family, but they’re also the perfect time to tackle some of those small projects that will make your space more functional and inviting.
Updating your front door with paint and hardware is a simple and impactful project that can be completed over a long weekend. Sharon Grech, colour and design expert for Benjamin Moore shares tips on how you can give your front door a facelift.
Do the prep work: Like any paint project, preparation is critical. Ensure the door is clean, dry and sanded smooth before starting, and prime if necessary. If possible, remove all hardware from the door and protect glass or areas you don’t want painted with painter’s tape.
Make a grand entrance: When selecting a paint colour, context is important, so keep the neighbourhood landscape and architectural style in mind. “Choosing a colour can be overwhelming, so use an edited palette that has been curated specifically for front doors. “To really make a statement, Venetian Sky and Wild Blueberry are my go-to choices,” adds Grech.
Choosing a product that’s designed for use on front doors is just as crucial as selecting the right colour. Grech recommends waterborne alkyd enamel, such as Aura Grand Entrance, which offers durability and a lustrous finish.
Paint like a pro:
- Remove the door off its hinges and place it on the ground if you can. If that’s not possible, be sure to look out for paint drips on the hardware and clean them up right away if you see them.
- Paint any recessed or paneled areas first and work top-down with a low-pile, high-quality roller.
- For the smoothest finish, let it dry completely and lightly sand any imperfections.
- Remove sanding dust and then paint the final coat.
Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize: Select hardware that matches with the overall colour scheme and texture of your home. “Bronze continues to be a trendy metal in home design, so consider updating your door handle, knocker or mail slot with this designer favourite. Hardware, like jewellery, is the perfect finishing touch to make a statement with your front door,” says Grech.
More information is available at www.benjaminmoore.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019