It’s official, trendy cupcakes are “out” and Pie is “in”. Recessionary times cause people to look for comforts and nothing is as comforting as a sweet and delicious pie. Gourmet pie shops are popping up everywhere and people are realizing pie is not only the most comforting and soulful of foods but is also a perfect gift to give to anyone for any occasion. Once deemed the quintessential Thanksgiving pie, homemade pumpkin pie is showing up everywhere and at any time of the year. In the fall when pumpkins are plentiful try your hand at making a pie from scratch with fresh pumpkin. If you decide to make a homemade pumpkin pie when pumpkins aren’t available simply buy the canned pumpkin which is also great. Also feel free to buy a pie crust and follow the instructions on the package if you don’t want to try making your own crust. This recipe for pie crust makes two-9 in. pie shells and the pumpkin pie filling is for one pie. Either double the filling to make two pies or you can freeze the extra crust for another day.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 pound butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pastry for 1-crust pie
- 2 large or 3 small eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- 2 cups pureed cooked pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups milk, half-and-half or evaporated milk
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl, make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix the center ingredients with the fingers of one hand or a pastry blender until blended. Quickly work in the flour. Add a small amount of ice water if necessary to moisten the dough so it can be gathered into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in wax paper and chill 1 hour. Roll out the pastry, fit it into the plates and bake on the bottom shelf of a preheated 450 degree F oven until brown about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pie shell with a fluted standing rim. Brush lightly with egg white or shortening.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar, molasses, salt and spices until well blended. Add the pumpkin and milk and mix well. Adjust the seasonings.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared crust and bake on the lower shelf of the oven 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 400 degrees F and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, or about 30 minutes longer.
Besides being so delicious and comforting, homemade pumpkin pie is lower in calories than most pies. A slice of pumpkin pie is normally only 320 calories. Compare that to pecan pie which is around 500 calories per slice and pumpkin pie looks a whole lot sweeter. Also pumpkin pie is loaded with Vitamin A and has Vitamins B and C! Sometimes when you don’t have the time to make a homemade pumpkin pie from scratch, but you want that fresh and delicious handmade taste, simply buy pies online: http://www.tootiepieco.com/