We asked the experts at Modular Home Additions to shed light on some important aspects to consider when planning an addition to your home.
What are the best tips for homeowners who want the building of their addition to go as smoothly as possible?
- Determine what you can afford and what you want or need before you begin the process. Making changes after the project has begun can add additional costs and delays. It pays to take the time to create a clear picture of exactly what you want before you begin.
- Discuss the process with your contractor. Find out what he will need from you and when. Do not leave decisions and purchases to the last minute as items you want may not be readily available, causing costly delays.
- It is important to respect local building permit and inspection regulations. Inspections and building standards can seem like a hassle but these requirements are in place for your protection.
- The biggest surprise for homeowners is the length of time needed to obtain the necessary permits. There are many different requirements that must be met before construction can begin.
- Research your contractor thoroughly. Ask for referrals, look for reviews, check with past clients and ask plenty of questions to ensure you know exactly what to expect!
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018