As seen on the cover of Canadian Home Trends Magazine – Kitchen & Bath Issue 2013
The design of this large family kitchen has been a vision for the homeowners since visiting their favourite vacation destination, Cape Cod. The couple wanted a fresh and inviting, yet elegant and classic design for their new kitchen with coastal style design elements. With a beach-inspired colour scheme of sand, blue/grey ocean and sky, white sea shells and ocean-weathered driftwood, the kitchen has a distinctive, relaxed, coastal appeal complete with modern amenities.
The First Challenge
The homeowner had a large tableware collection they wanted to display and store.
A soft grey-stained, glass hutch built above the servery showcasing the homeowner’s best white china and crystal collection.
The Second Challenge
Although a large space, due to the shape of the breakfast area, multiple kitchen entrances and numerous windows, it had few walls long enough to run cabinetry.
An island designed to look like a large harvest table with four distinct legs, was added to the centre of the room to create more counter space and storage. It includes a secondary sink for baking and food prep.
The Third Challenge
The homeowner wanted a modern but classic feel, so we wanted all technical, electrical and mechanical elements to be integrated or hidden.
All electrical, backsplash plugs, lights and wall switches are hidden in custom-designed boxed valances installed under the upper cabinets.
- Appliances, Tasco Appliances, www.tascoappliance.ca;
- Lighting, Union Lighting & Furnishings, www.unionlf.com;
- Cabinetry, Jane Lockhart Platinum Collection Custom Cabinets by Brice’s Furniture, www.janelockhart.com, www.bricesfurniture.com;
- Backsplash tiles, Cercan Tile, www.cercantile.com;
- Granite counter tops and Backsplash (servery), Mondial Granite, www.mondialgranite.com;
- Quartz counter tops, Caesarstone, www.caesarstone.ca;
- Cabinetry hardware, Restoration Hardware,www.restorationhardware.com;
- Sink and faucet, Ginger’s, www.gingers.com;
- Designed by, Jane Lockhart, www.janelockhart.com
Text by Jane Lockhart
Photography by Brandon Barré
Produced by Canadian Home Trends Magazine