There are countless ways to incorporate your garden fresh tomatoes into the dinner routine. Stuffed tomatoes are a great option that really show-off all your hard work. These Minty Lamb-Stuffed Tomatoes are full of the Mediterranean flavours of feta, tomato and mint and make an impressive summer entree.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, about 2.3 kg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL), long grain parboiled rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL), PC 100% Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL), tomato paste
- 1-2/3 cups (400 mL), chopped cooked ground lamb (about 7 oz/210 g)
- 250 g, feta cheese, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL), chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL), each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a paring knife, slice tops of tomatoes so that opening is about 2-1/2 inches (6 cm) wide; discard tops. Using a teaspoon, scoop seeds and pulp into a bowl. Set tomato shells and bowl of pulp aside.
- In small saucepan, combine rice and 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened. Stir in reserved tomato juice and pulp and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 11 x 7-inch (2 L) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set tomato shells in dish; they will be touching each other.
- In a large bowl, stir together tomato sauce, cooked rice, lamb, two-thirds of the feta, mint, salt and pepper. Divide mixture among tomato shells, pressing filling down with back of spoon to fill shells as much as possible. Sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Bake in centre of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Serve garnished with additional mint, if desired.
More delicious recipes for your home-grown vegetables are available online at pc.ca. www.newscanada.com
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018