Kick your tomatoes into high gear with this tasty dish. Perfect as an appetizer or side dish for your grilled steak, this delicious recipe is sure to be a hit. More recipes can be found at saputo.ca.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 large red onion
- olive oil, to taste
- Small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, shredded
- Cut a slice of approximately 1/2 inch (1 cm) off the top of each tomato. With a small knife, cut the inside of the fleshy part of the tomato (do not cut through the bottom of the tomato). Using a spoon, remove the inside of the tomatoes, leaving about 1 cm of flesh attached to skin. Discard the seeds and juice.
- Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes, place them with the open sides downwards, on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 4 slices. Cut the pepper in half and remove the inside. Also cut the half onion in 2. Brush vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on direct medium heat until they are tender. Remove vegetables from heat. Once cooled, chop the zucchini, onion and pepper into small pieces. Add the mint and a drizzle of olive oil to the vegetables. Mix and season to taste.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the vegetable mixture and top with the Mozzarellissima. Place on the barbecue over medium indirect heat, until cheese is melted and vegetables are heated through (approximately 5 to 6 minutes).