Eliminating the pastry in quiche lowers the fat and calorie count; breadcrumbs temper the egg’s sensitivity to any excess moisture from the vegetables.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 8 oz (250 g) sliced fresh Mushrooms
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) small broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old cheddar or Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup (175 mL) soft breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Each salt and dried basil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Each pepper and nutmeg
- ¼ cup (1 mL) diced red pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet melt butter over medium heat; sauté mushrooms and onion for 3-4 minutes or until moisture has evaporated; add broccoli and garlic, sauté until broccoli is bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into lightly greased 9”(22 cm) pie plate. In mixing bowl or large measuring cup whisk milk and eggs together; stir in cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, basil, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour over mushroom mixture stirring lightly to combine. Sprinkle with red pepper (if using) and Parmesan cheese. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 25-30 minutes or until centre is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*Substitute evaporated milk to give a little creamier consistency
More delicious recipe ideas are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017