This is a vegetarian version of the popular Indonesian favorite. Serve as a light meal or see the variation for a snack or appetizer.
Let the Mushrooms marinate for 30-60 minutes before threading onto skewers.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) EACH liquid honey and soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 32 (1 lb/500 g) medium fresh Mushrooms
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 1 small red or sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 24 (4 oz/125 g) sugar snap or snow peas
- (optional) sesame seeds and/or peanut sauce
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Stir in whole mushrooms until coated. Marinate at room temperature 30 –60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile soak bamboo skewers in water for the same time. Separate red onion wedges into individual layers. Remove mushrooms, reserving marinade in a small saucepan. Thread mushrooms, alternating with onion wedges and sugar peas onto wooden skewers. Grill on the barbecue for 3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile cook noodles as directed on package and heat marinade until boiling for 1-2 minutes or until thickened slightly to use as sauce. Serve skewers on cooked noodles. Drizzle sauce over noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Serve peanut sauce on side for dipping.
For convenience marinate mushrooms in a sealed plastic bag, turning a couple of times.
To serve as a snack or appetizer, omit the noodles and sesame seeds. Serve skewers with warm sauce for dipping. You can broil skewers under broiler for about 3 minutes on each side.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018