Have you fizzled out on the same old flapjacks? These incredibly light-tasting and satisfying oatmeal-almond pancakes, from the Almond Board of California, will turn breakfast from black-and white into full colour. Whip up a batch for your next brunch gathering and top with seasonal fresh fruit for a scrumptious spring or summer breakfast dish.
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) enriched almond milk, plain or vanilla
- About 5 tbsp (75 mL) almond oil or corn oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cider or white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) slivered almonds, roasted*
- Whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together almond milk, 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil, eggs, almond extract and vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry ones and whisk just until mixed. Fold in almonds. Use some remaining oil to lightly grease a large skillet or griddle pan, and heat over medium heat. Ladle ¼ cup (40 mL) batter for each pancake. Brown each cake on both sides, flipping once, and using more oil as necessary. Serve.
- * To roast slivered, chopped or sliced almonds: Spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350ºF (180°C) oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven. This oatmeal offers fibre and vitamin E at breakfast time.
More recipes can be found online at almondboard.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019