This reduced-sugar twist on the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich was created for those who live with diabetes – and for those who simply love this lunchtime classic. More tasty recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
- 3 cups (750 mL) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sea salt (optional)
- ¾ whole grain baguette (about ½ lb/250 g), sliced into 24 thin slices
- ½ cup (125 mL) natural smooth peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the strawberries with the cornstarch. Stir in the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, pepper and salt (if using). Spread evenly on the prepared sheet.
- Roast the strawberries in the oven for 30 minutes or until softened and juices have thickened on the sheet. Scrape the strawberries and any juices into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, bake the baguette on a second baking sheet for 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted, turning once. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread about 1 tsp (5 mL) peanut butter on each slice of toasted baguette. Top each with a spoonful of the strawberry mixture.
Note: If you add the optional sea salt, the sodium increases to 158 mg per serving.
• If strawberries aren't in season, substitute 3 cups (750 mL) unsweetened, individually quick frozen sliced strawberries. Spread out on a baking sheet lined with paper towel until thawed. Roast for 20 minutes.
• Reserve any leftover roasted strawberries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The toasted baguette can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
• The strawberries are also delicious when spooned over a yogurt parfait or frozen yogurt as an occasional treat.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019