Most chutney is made of sugar and vinegar reduced fruit, veggies and spices. I used peaches but you could use nectarines, plums, mangoes or any stone fruit. You could even use tomatoes, apples or pears.
- 3 peaches, cut into ¼ inch dices
- 1 Spanish red onion, cut into ¼ inch dices
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp crushed chili flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- In a medium pan with a splash of oil, sweat (soften) the onions. Be careful not to brown them.
- After 2 or 3 minutes add vinegar, chili flakes, sugar and salt.
- Add peaches to the mixture and reduce it on a low/medium heat. While stirring, squash the peaches with the back of a wooden spoon. This reduction will take 10-20 minutes.
- Once your peach chutney has reduced/thickened remove it from the heat and let it cool.
Recipe by Chef Mike Ward
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017