Rice is an integral part of the Chinese New Year celebratory meal. Representing fertility, luck and wealth, it is the cornerstone of many iconic dishes. What's more, with its stickiness representing the family bond, rice is an ideal part of a meal shared between loved ones.
This easy to prepare dish from Uncle Ben's has impressive and diverse flavours of meat and vegetables with the rice. It's also a quick meal solution for any weeknight.
- 1 cup (250mL) Uncle Ben's Converted rice
- 2 tbsp (30mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped carrots
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) leftover roast pork, cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked baby shrimp
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots for about 4 minutes or until starting to soften. Push carrots to side of pan and add remaining oil. Cook egg, stirring, for 30 seconds or until set. Mix carrots into egg. Stir in rice, pork, shrimp, peas, green onions and soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
For more Chinese New Year recipes, or to learn about the new aspects of the celebration taking place this year, visit www.EasyFortune2016.ca.