Winter can be tough on many parts of a home — our windows, porches, and driveways take quite a beating with all the snow and ice. But did you know that your roof is one of the most vulnerable areas?
No matter what material your roof is made of, snow and ice can cause severe and expensive damage. If left untended, the result could be water damage that trickles inside.
“Canadians are always clearing their driveways or scraping their windshields after the snow or ice, but the roof is out of sight so it can get overlooked,” explains Glenn Cooper from Aviva Canada. “By taking steps to check and care for your roof during the season you can help avoid a leakage and extend the life of your roof at the same time.”
Try these four tips to protect your roof this season:
1. Hire a professional snow removal company. If your roof is particularly high, it’s much safer to hire a professional snow removal service to clear the snow off.
2. Use binoculars. You can check the condition of your roof by using binoculars; in most cases, you can see everything you need without having to climb up there.
3. Rake it up. Use a rake to force built-up snow onto the ground.
4. Do warm weather installations. Consider installing electric radiant heat in the warmer months to keep your roof temperature above freezing during the cold of winter. You can also install an ice barrier, used mostly on metal roofs, to prevent snow from sticking.
Find more information from your insurance broker or online at avivacanada.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- 5 Must-Haves for Your Man Cave - December 2, 2019
- Design Ideas for Your Custom Walk-in Closet - October 30, 2019
- Repairing Your Commercial Appliances: A Simple Guide - October 24, 2019