A festive Meethe Chawal is an aromatic dessert for your family celebration or for a dinner party with friends. The main ingredient is rice tinged with saffron and studded with nuts and raisins -- and it's a sweet treat that will have your guests asking for more.
“This Meethe Chawal is a great choice for anyone looking to explore traditional Punjabi desserts,” says Vanita Ashat, a chef at President's Choice cooking school. “It's one of my go-to recipes for celebrating special occasions with my extended family.”
- 2 cups (500 ml) Suraj Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) 2% milk
- Pinch PC Black Label Saffron Threads Spice
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) ghee
- 1 Suraj Cinnamon Bark Stick, broken
- 6 Suraj Cardamom Pods
- 4 Suraj Whole Cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Suraj Turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups (375 l granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ghee
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) unsalted roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) natural almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) golden raisins
- Place rice in medium bowl. Fill with cold water and swish around with hand. Tip out cloudy water, leaving rice in bowl. Repeat twice. Fill bowl with cold water and soak 20 minutes. Drain rice in fine sieve and set aside.
- Microwave milk in microwave-safe ramekin for 15 to 20 seconds or until hot. Crumble in saffron and let stand.
- Heat 2 tbsp (25 ml) ghee in saucepan over medium-high heat; add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and cook 30 to 45 seconds or until spices crackle and are fragrant. Stir in rice until well coated in ghee. Stir in turmeric and 3 cups (750 ml) water; bring to a boil. Stir in saffron milk and sugar, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Let stand off heat, covered, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) ghee in frying pan over medium heat; cook cashews, almonds and pistachios 3 to 5 minutes, string frequently, or until golden. Stir in raisins; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until plump. Carefully stir mixture into rice.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019