At the next weekend brunch, why not serve all the family favourites in one dish? This recipe gives them the taste and sensational aroma of French toast, Belgian waffles, and raisin bread combined into one. It's made with the traditional Sun-Maid Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread and only takes 15 minutes from start to finish.
Encouraging the little ones to help with this dish will inspire family time in the kitchen as well as at the breakfast table. Delegate tasks to little early risers by having them measure the ingredients, soak the raisin bread, and personalize their own waffle-toast with toppings like fresh strawberries and icing sugar. Use this cooking opportunity as a teaching experience with your kids and soon these early morning duties will become cherished family time.
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 slices Sun-Maid Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter (optional)
- Heat a traditional or Belgian style waffle iron. Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a shallow dish. Dip raisin bread into egg mixture one slice at a time. Place in waffle iron, close iron and grill until golden and baked through, about 3 minutes. (If not non-stick, brush iron with melted butter or spray with cooking spray.) Makes 6 to 8 waffle toasts.
If you don't have a waffle iron, place soaked bread slices in a lightly buttered skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side until toasted and cooked through.
A video of this recipe, with a step-by-step demonstration, is available online at www.sunmaid.ca.
John Placko is the director of culinary excellence at Canada Bread.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019