Here are a few quick tips to help you through the process:
Plan plan and then plan some more.
- Check all the dimensions of purchases, passages and materials
- Hire someone to help you pull the ideas together
- If no – graph paper and draw to scale
- List what is to happen for comparison quotes
Check out your contractor.
- References – call them
- Check work
- Get a quote in writing based on what you have listed
Create a budget that is realistic.
- Know your budget
- Do some shopping – “something you always wanted” should stay there
- Renos make life easier- house poor makes life harder when you can’t go out!
Reserve fifteen percent of the budget for the “oh crap” list.
- The unforeseen behind the walls
Prepare for some mess!
- It’s going to be messy and inconvenient so prepare for it
- No kitchen
- Difficult to get in the house
- Dust everywhere
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends' National Design Editor, Glen Peloso forged into the world of design 20 years ago after completing his Masters degree in Fine Art. As Principal of Grafus Design Co., he has worked in residential, hospitality and commercial spaces for clients in several countries and has successfully designed over 300 projects in that time. TV Celebrity Designer and Canadian Home Trends National Design Contributor, Glen is also recognized as a design expert on The Marilyn Denis Show and from his past work as a host/designer of the internationally popular television shows Foodnetwork/HGTV`s Restaurant Makeover, and W networks ‘Take this House and Sell it’, and “Slice Network” show, Renovate my Wardrobe.