The flavors of summer come out in every bite when you taste this aromatic saffron risotto. It’s complemented by asparagus, peas, parmesan and finished with tender shrimp and scallops. I enjoy this dish with a glass of white wine and great company. – Chef Rob Thomas
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup arborio or carnaroli rice
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh, if possible)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano
- a pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup asparagus cut into small pieces
SHRIMP AND SCALLOPS INGREDIENTS
- 6-8 large scallops
- 6-8 large shrimp
Sear shrimp and scallops separately and cook when risotto is finished.
Add the broth in a saucepan to gently simmer.
Melt the butter in a medium pot. Add the onions and cook on medium for a minute or two, until they begin to become translucent. Add the rice and saffron, stirring for another minute or two.
Add the wine and stir until the wine is nearly gone. Add 1 ½ cups of broth stirring often, until the liquid is almost gone.
Continue adding stock, one ladle at a time, stirring often, each time waiting until the liquid is nearly gone before adding more.
Add the peas and asparagus when 1/3 of broth is left. Cook until the rice is cooked but a little al dente, and creamy. Finish with parmigiano reggiano.
For the seared shrimp and scallops: Heat oil in nonstick skillet. Pat the shrimp and scallops dry and season with salt, and add to the pan. After 1-2 minutes, flip each piece over. Scallops should have a golden brown exterior and an opaque inside. Serve immediately on top of risotto, and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Ultimate Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - November 16, 2018
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018