As the weather gets warmer, Canadians move outside, literally. Our patios and backyards suddenly become al fresco extensions of our homes.
With innovative and stylish fabrics and decorative elements available at affordable prices, design experts are increasingly being asked to create outdoor “living and dining rooms”.
If your patio lacks panache, this is the season to learn to love your outdoor spaces. But, where do you begin? Leading retailer Sears offers a quick-tip guideline:
1. Start by analyzing how you actually use—or want to use—your outdoor space. Is it where you gather with friends to socialize, or to cook, to eat, to play, or all of the above? These questions will determine the layout and needs for your space.
2. Creating a lovely and livable outdoor space means taking care of your yard. Take a look at the advanced technology in mowers this year. The Craftsman EZ platform mower has a convenient push-button start, with right and left hand controls, plus a one-hand bag removal. Let this new technology clip hours from your monthly lawn care chores.
3. Seating—choose easy-to-clean “sling” seating for patios that serve primarily as dining areas. For lounging, deep cushion seating is luxurious and gaining in popularity. Just be sure the frames are made of sturdy steel to protect your investment over the years.
4. Rugs are a hot, new trend that truly bring the indoors out. Some of the best indoor/outdoor rugs are reversible, made of durable and water resistant polypropylene and come in a variety of colours and patterns.
5. Barbecues are a must for perfect patio entertaining. Choose one that suits your lifestyle…and your space. For urban backyards, think sleek and stylish, like the 75,000 BTU Kenmore, which is ideal for everyday cooking.
6. Finishing touches are where you allow your personality to shine. The better home and garden centres offer gazebos to keep the bugs out, umbrellas made for the shade and even heaters and fire pits to warm up those late, late summer evenings and extend the life of your outdoor living space.
More information and outdoor decorating ideas can be found at www.sears.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Marc & Mandy’s Holiday Gift Guide 2018 - December 7, 2017
- Five Things to Look for When Interviewing a Home Remodeling Contractor - December 6, 2017
- Designer Space: All in the Details - November 30, 2017