Ditch the bottled stuff, and get saucy with this sweet and spicy barbecue baste. Perfect on ribs, steak, chicken or mixed into a burger, you can customize the spiciness to your liking. Like any barbecue sauce, to avoid burning be mindful by grilling over indirect heat, or slather it on during the last few minutes.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) ketchup
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) beer
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peanut butter, preferably crunchy
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fancy molasses
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot pepper sauce, preferably chipotle-style
- Pour oil into a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and garlic, stirring just until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan and whisk until smooth. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes. Sauce will thicken more upon cooling.
Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Designer Space: Modern Character - August 16, 2018
- Trend Watch: Sleek Home Elevators - August 13, 2018
- Ultimate Bathroom Design Challenge: Vote for a Chance to Win! - August 10, 2018