This rich and flavourful polenta dish is perfect for a weekend brunch or weeknight meal — because what's better than breakfast for dinner? Creamy polenta is elevated with the addition of umami-rich mushrooms. A poached egg on top completes the dish and adds another layer of texture.
- 4 cups (1L) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) polenta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/2 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp (7 mL) white vinegar
- Water for poaching
- Polenta: Bring water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in chopped spinach, then slowly add polenta while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until polenta is smooth, about 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook polenta 25 to 30 minutes. Whisk often. Remove from heat and add butter, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Mushrooms: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add leek and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and butter; heat until butter is melted. Add white wine vinegar and stir until the liquid evaporates, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set mushrooms aside.
- Poached egg: In a large saucepan, bring 3 inches of water and a splash of white vinegar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl. Gently stir water in a circle and then gently slip egg into water. Poach about 3 to 4 minutes, then remove egg with a slotted spoon and pat dry. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- To assemble, spoon polenta into bowl, top with mushroom and leek mixture, and then top with poached egg. Tip: Add optional garnishes like fresh chopped chives, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
Find more locally inspired meals online at mushrooms.ca.
Attention editors: This article is for distribution in Ontario only.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018