A healthy meal is always on-hand if you keep your pantry well stocked with some basic foods. Heart and Stroke Foundation registered dietitian Carol Dombrow says she follows the healthy eating shopping tips of cookbook author Anne Lindsay to keep her own kitchen cupboards supplied with the ingredients she needs to make a healthy snack or meal anytime. “Anne always keeps the following in her kitchen: milk, cheese, eggs, bread, rice, pasta, frozen peas and corn, potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic, canned tomatoes, beans (black, kidney, chickpeas) and salmon. Along with herbs, spices, vinegars, mustards and olive oil,” says Dombrow.
Next time you’re in the grocery store, consider adding these healthy options to your cart:
• Red kidney or black beans, or chick peas are high in protein and low in fat. If you purchase canned products, rinse them before using to reduce the sodium content.
• Whole wheat or spelt pasta as an alternative for spaghetti night.
• Look for lower fat milk, cheese and yogurt.
• Canned fruits in fruit juice, such as pears and pineapple are great to add to cereals, oatmeal and can also work as a light dessert for your family.
• Frozen peas or corn are easily added to your salad at lunch or your stir fry at dinner.
• Look for brown rice or wild rice.
• A dash of fresh herbs will liven up your meals.
• Enjoy canned tuna or salmon in water.
One of the greatest benefits of having a supply of basic healthy ingredients is being able to prepare quick and wholesome meals during a busy week. Be creative and use these healthy eating shopping tips to stock your pantry with nutritious options for the whole family.
More healthy recipes, including a monthly recipe makeover, can be found at the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s Health Check website at healthcheck.org.
By Stephanie Lawrence – www.newscanada.com
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Choosing The Right Flooring - June 21, 2019
- Bidets: 5 Common Myths & The Truth You Need To Know - June 21, 2019
- Kitchens We Love: Lindsay’s Multifunctional Family Kitchen - June 20, 2019