Created by Chef Jenny McCoy, co-founder of Cisse Gourmet Baking Mixes and formerly of Craft restaurant in New York City, for the Almond Board of California, this ice cream float is a slightly grown-up and gourmet version of everyone's childhood favourite. The rich flavour of toasted almonds in the ice cream makes for a perfect pairing with the dark, earthy flavours of old-fashioned root beer.
- 1 cup (250 mL) almonds, finely chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) whole milk
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) heavy cream
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) fine sea salt
- ½ tsp (1 mL) almond extract
- ½ cup (125 mL) plus 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 4 bottles old-fashioned root beer
- Preheat oven to 350(F (180°C).
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast until deep golden and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place yolks in a large mixing bowl; cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, cream, salt, toasted almonds, almond extract, and ¼ cup (50 mL) of the sugar to a boil. Turn off heat and let steep at room temperature for 15 minutes; return to a rolling boil.
- Whisk remaining sugar into bowl with yolks until smooth. Gently temper yolks by slowly adding hot almond cream, while whisking constantly. Once completely combined, strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large metal bowl. Place bowl of ice cream base over another bowl of ice water and stir until cool.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's directions until ice cream has a smooth, soft-serve-like texture. Store in freezer for 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, fill four tall glasses with two or three scoops of Toasted Almond Ice Cream each, top with root beer, and serve immediately.
More recipes can be found online at AlmondBoard.com.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jacklynn’s Contemporary Living Room Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yvonne’s Cheerful Bedroom Design Board - November 16, 2018
- Yummy Christmas Mocktails Perfect for Christmas Dinner - November 12, 2018