Here is a great cake recipe with pudding mix made from scratch! Using instant pudding in a cake makes the cake very moist and also gives it a burst of flavor. The secret ingredient used to make moist cakes in bakeries is often instant pudding. This is a no-fail, cheap and simple recipe!
- 1 box cake mix, any flavor
- 1 box instant pudding, any flavor (4 serving size)
- 4 eggs
- 1 c water
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 c sour cream (optional
- Additional items needed: Mixing bowl, electric beater, cooking spray/butter, 9x13 inch cake pan, toothpicks.
- Select identical flavors of cake mix and instant-pudding mix, such as chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding. If you want a more complex cake flavor, select complementing cake and pudding mix flavors, such as yellow cake mix and lemon instant-pudding mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the cake pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter. (I flour my cake pans as well, but it's not required.)
- Combine the cake and pudding mixes with a spoon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add four eggs, 1 cup water and 1/3 cup vegetable oil. If you wish to make a denser cake (similar to a pound cake) add 1 cup sour cream.
- Beat all the ingredients until combined with an electric mixer on medium speed. The batter will be much thicker than regular cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pan and bake it for approximately 50 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and remove it. If the toothpick comes out clean with no raw batter, the cake is done.