Getting your little ones to eat and enjoy mushrooms can be harder than it sounds. With this fabulous burrito style treat, your kids will be asking for “more mushrooms please”. Preparation is quick and easy, and offers a great opportunity to get your kids cooking with mushrooms.
- 8 oz (250 g) pre-sliced fresh Mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 8 oz (250 g) lean ground chicken
- 1 clove garlic
- 1can (7.5oz/213 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 oz /398 mL) beans in tomato sauce
- 1-1½ tbsp (15-22 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin powder
- 6 large (10 “25 cm) tortillas
- 1/2 (200g) block cheddar cheese
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup (125 mL) low fat sour cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) mild, medium or hot salsa
- On cutting board stack 2 mushrooms slices one on top of the other; with sharp knife slice crosswise into narrow short strips; repeat with remaining mushrooms; set aside. With sharp knife cut onion in half on cutting board, place flat side down and cut in both directions to coarsely chop.
- Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to skillet and place on burner; turn to medium high heat. Add ground chicken and with large spoon stir while cooking (about 3 minutes) to break up into small pieces. Stir in onion and mushrooms; crush garlic into pan and continue cooking and stirring until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans with sauce, tomato sauce, 1 tbsp(15 mL) chili powder, cumin and hot red pepper flakes if desired. • • Lower heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally 8-10 minutes or until very thick. Turn off burner and move skillet to a cold burner. Taste and add more chili powder if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400º (220ºC). On cutting board cut cheese into 30 (½”/1cm) cubes.
- Lay tortillas on counter; spoon ½ cup (125 mL) filling on to the bottom third of each tortilla, leaving a 1”(2.5 cm) border; arrange 5 cubes of cheese on top each one. Fold the bottom of tortilla over filling and fold the sides in to seal filling. Roll up tightly from bottom to enclose completely.
- Using pastry brush lightly coat baking pan with 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and place rolled tortillas, seam side down on the pan. Brush remaining oil on tops and sides of filled tortillas.
- Place baking pan in middle of oven; bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. If desired turn on broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp and brown the tops.
- Cool 4-5 minutes; mix sour cream and salsa in small serving dish. Using serrated knife cut tortilla rolls in half diagonally. Serve with dipping sauce.
For kids' mushroom recipes, tips for parents, and fun educational activities visit www.thecapcrew.ca.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Getting Ready for IDS19 - January 14, 2019
- Furniture Staging Tips - January 14, 2019
- Design Trends and Real Estate: What You Need to Know - January 14, 2019