By: Executive Chef John Placko for Maple Leaf Foods ThinkFOOD! Brown bagging doesn’t have to be boring this year. There are ways to revive your lunch by adding new flavour combinations and ingredients to tried-and-true classic sandwiches. Try adding roasted garlic and baby spinach instead of usual dressings and greens. Small changes can make a big difference! To boost the taste factor I recommend adding a new bread variety like Dempster’s Rye, it’s a new line of soft and moist rye bread. There are five varieites to choose from and all are low in fat, a source of fibre and eight essential nutrients. For those who like to keep up with what’s new and healthy, here is my favourite Panini recipe that is sure to make your coworkers want to steal your lunch.
- 4 Slices Dempster’s Harvest Pumpernickel Rye
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 thin slices roast beef
- 4 slices brie
- 4 thin slices red onion
- ¼ cup (50 mL) baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) roasted garlic or horseradish mayonnaise
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with olive oil. Divide roast beef between 2 bread slices, keeping olive oil side facing out. Top each with Brie, red onion, spinach, mayonnaise and remaining bread (olive oil side facing out). Grill sandwiches in Panini press, sandwich maker or in a skillet over medium heat until golden on both sides. Serve immediately.
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018