- Skipping the rubber gloves. Cleaning agents are packed with chemicals, chemicals and more chemicals. The skin on your hands is tough, no doubt, but why chance unnecessary exposure if you can avoid it?
- Holding on to sponges. Sponges aren’t expensive and they’re very easily replaceable, so just to be safe, chuck your used sponges and rags after each clean, or weekly, and replace them right away. If you don’t, you risk spreading bacteria which is counterproductive to your clean.
- Wiping away your cleaning agent too quickly. Wait a full minute between spraying and wiping to ensure the agent time to do its job.
- Scrubbing stains out of carpet. Scrubbing drives stains further into the material and you can damage the look of your carpet this way but pulling out fibers and/or drying them out. Soak stains in soda water and gently dab excess liquid out instead.
- Cleaning backwards. If you vacuum your carpets and then dust your shelf tops and ceiling fans, you risk all that dust ending right back on the carpet. Clean from top to bottom for the most effective clean.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.