Q: I’m looking to renovate my home to make it more energy efficient. What are some things that I should consider?
80% of your home’s energy is lost through openings in your “envelope” or exterior of your home. Preforming a Blow Door Test can help identify unwanted air leakage that can be repaired to maximize energy efficiency. Here are a few tips to consider:
1. Upgrade or replace older windows with triple-paned windows.
2. Heat rises. Having a well-insulated, properly ventilated attic is important.
3. By replacing an older furnace with a high efficiency system and HRV unit, you can maximize the amount of energy absorption your home produces.
4. When re-cladding the exterior, ensure your envelope is air tight by sealing, caulking and/or taping all seams and cracks.
Text by Nino Giangrande, Grande Pacific Homes
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- Jo Alcorn’s Trends 2 Watch: Bathrooms - January 10, 2018
- Expert Advice: Getting the Best Bang for Your Bathroom Renovation Buck - January 10, 2018
- Accessing Your Home Equity: Remortgaging vs Home Equity Loans - January 2, 2018