Any part of your meal can be barbecued to perfection. Take a look at this creative appetizer recipe by Jamie Purviance in his newest cookbook, Weber's Smoke.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup cherry preserves
- Ground cinnamon
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 wheel (8 ounces) Brie cheese
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the ginger, preserves, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to very low and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Prepare a two-zone fire for medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Brush the cooking grate clean. Place the soaked plank over direct medium heat and close the lid. After 5 to 10 minutes, when the plank begins to smoke and char, turn the plank over.
- Set the Brie in the center of the plank and cook over direct medium heat with the lid closed, until the cheese softens and the rind turns a pale golden brown, about 10 minutes. Use a wide spatula to transfer the Brie to a serving plate.
- Spoon half of the chutney over the cheese and top with the toasted almonds. Serve with bread or crackers and the remaining chutney on the side.
Ideal grill: Charcoal
Smoke intensity: Moderate
Special equipment: 1 untreated cedar plank, 12 to 15 inches long and about 7 inches wide and ½ to ¾ inch thick, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
©2012 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber's Smoke™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How long does it take to build a house from start to finish? - June 1, 2020
- How can I clean any room in 2 minutes? - June 1, 2020
- How to decorate a room with simple things? - June 1, 2020