My closet is a disaster. I never know when to get rid of something and I’m getting to the point where I don’t know where to put things anymore. Help!
I’m here to help! Closets hold some of our most treasured belongings: clothes, belts, jewelry, and, of course, shoes! We never seem to throw anything out thinking we may need it again. I’m going to help you turn your closet into a fashionista’s dream.
- Cut clutter by asking yourself, “If I saw this in a store today, would I buy it?” If the answer is no, get rid of it.
- Longer pieces, such as skirts, topcoats and dresses, should be hung with about 66” of space from the floor.
- Keep suits together so that pants don’t go missing.
- Have at least two sets of shoetrees so you can alternate them in your shoes and boots in-between wearing them.
- Use separations in the drawers to better organize smaller items.
- Use drawers inside your closet for your jewelry, accessories and intimates.
- Bring a soft scent to your closet with unopened bars of soap placed inside.
- Separate short-sleeve shirts from long-sleeve shirts or blouses. Within that category, colour block them from left-to-right, lightest-to-darkest, or follow the colours of the rainbow.
- For double closet bars, the top bar should be about 39” from the bottom bar, and the bottom bar should be 42” from the floor.
As Seen In: Canadian Home Trends Magazine Spring 2014
Photo Source: California Closet
Canadian Home Trends
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- How to Accommodate Special Diets this Holiday Season - November 23, 2017
- Sunshine Kiwifruit Smoothie Bowl - November 21, 2017
- Honey Banana Pops - November 21, 2017