Designer Meghan Carter showcases a classic and timeless kitchen for the everyday homeowner.
Canadian Home Trends: What is your favourite design element in this kitchen?
Meghan Carter: I love the art shelves next to the window. We designed these to use the shallow depth without blocking light from the window. A great spot to display favourite cookbooks or some special pieces of art.
CHT: What is the most common mistake people make when designing a kitchen with white cabinetry?
MC: White cabinetry is classic and timeless so it’s hard to make a mistake specific to that colour choice. With that being said, there are some common mistakes in kitchen design. One of my pet peeves are cabinets that stop short of the ceiling. In smaller urban houses, this just feels like wasted space and a dust collector. I also think it’s a mistake to position a sink or cook-top in a configuration that robs it of counter space on both sides. Doing so, cuts your work space in half, so even having as little as 15” makes a difference. If you’re going white with your cabinets, don’t be afraid to be bold in your cabinet hardware selection. It’s a great way to bring some personality into a neutral kitchen and easy to swap out in a few years if you want a change. Cabinet hardware should be thought of as jewelry – that finishing touch that makes the outfit.
CHT: If you could describe this kitchen in a few words, what would they be?
MC: Beautiful. Functional. Kid-friendly. Flexible. Timeless.
Photography by Leslie Goodwin, As Seen In Canadian Home Trends Magazine Fall 2014
- Space Designed by Meghan Carter Design Inc., www.meghancarterdesign.com;
- Cabinetry Design, Meghan Carter Design Inc., www.meghancarterdesign.com;
- Cabinet Manufactured, Irpinia Kitchens, www.irpinia.com;
- Kitchen Rad Cover and Floating Shelves Manufactured, Meghan Carter Design Inc., www.meghancarterdesign.com;
- Counter tops, Caesarstone 2141 Blizzard;
- Dining Room Cabinets, Carrara marble;
- Backsplash, Saltillo Tiles, www.saltillo-tiles.com;
- Plumbing, Roman Bath, www.romanbathcentre.com;
- Island Stools AND Dining Table, Crate & Barrel, www.crateandbarrel.com;
- Dining Chairs and Bench pillows, Meghan Carter Design Inc., www.meghancarterdesign.com;
- Wallpaper, Primavera, www.primavera.ca;
- Sconces, Union Lighting, www.unionlightingandfurnishings.com