When food is in season the colours are brighter, the textures are richer and the taste is a lot better. But there are a bunch of other benefits to eating in season that you might not realize.
Since food is easier to grow when it’s in season, those cost-savings are passed down to consumers. Produce picked and eaten at its peak generally has more nutrients, vitamins and minerals. You’ll also be supporting local farmers and lowering greenhouse gas emissions, as food grown locally doesn’t have to travel as far.
When cooking your local produce, keep in mind that you need to consume some fat in order to take advantage of fat-soluble micro-nutrients that exist in the diet. Soft, non-hydrogenated margarine like Becel with Avocado Oil, provides a plant-based source of good omega-3 polyunsaturated fat. It is made with the goodness of avocado and balanced with the great taste of margarine. Try this simple recipe and see how easy it is to pack your diet with local food.
Lemon-Herb Grilled Tofu and Vegetable Kebabs
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
• 1/4 cup (60mL) Becel with Avocado Oil margarine, melted
• 2 tbsp (15mL) lemon juice
• 2 tsp (5mL) chopped fresh rosemary leaves
• 1 large clove (15mL) garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tsp (2 mL) lemon peel, finely grated
• 1/2 tsp (1 mL) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
• 1 package (350 g) extra-firm tofu, drained, pat dry and cut into 16 chunks
• 1 large red, green or yellow bell pepper, cut into 12 chunks
• 12 small cremini mushrooms, trimmed
• 1 medium zucchini, cut into 12 rounds
• 12 pieces sweet onion (about 1/4 medium onion)
1. Combine margarine, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, lemon peel, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add tofu and vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour.
2. Alternately thread tofu and vegetables on four skewers (about 12 inches or 30 cm long). If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes prior to use.
3. Grill or broil kebabs, turning several times and brushing with any remaining marinade, until vegetables are tender and tofu is lightly browned and heated through, about 10 minutes.
Find more recipes and complete nutrition information online at becel.ca.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- DIY Father’s Day Gift Ideas - June 6, 2020
- Simple Ways To Update Your Backyard - June 6, 2020
- Father’s Day Grilling Giveaway with The Home Depot Canada - June 6, 2020