Home décor stores have great items in vivid colours and interesting shapes, but that unique custom-made look often comes with a hefty price tag. Fortunately, that doesn’t mean you need to settle for drab instead of fab. Save hundreds of dollars on a new piece of accent furniture by repurposing an old favourite with some paint a healthy sense of adventure and these easy-to-follow tips.
- Consider the piece, not colour: If you’re checking out old furniture that’s collecting dust in your basement, keep an eye out for shapes that would work for you. Changing the colour of an end table is easy, but you can’t change its bones.
- Get out that sandpaper: If you want to paint anything that’s wood, always lightly sand it first. This allows the paint to stick better to that vintage chair or table.
- A little detail goes a long way: Making small changes, like replacing doorknobs, can instantly freshen up any item. Get as funky as you want for just a few dollars by checking out garage sales and vintage shops for one-of-a-kind finds.
- Think outside the box (and your own stuff): Don’t have something you can transform? Consider picking up a new-to you vintage treasure that may not need as much work as that dresser you’ve had since elementary school. There are plenty of stores that resell furniture at great prices, like Habitat for Humanity ReStores. These outlets for new and gently used items and materials even invest money back into local communities, making you feel even better about your style transformation.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - June 8, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - June 8, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - June 8, 2023
Leave a Comment