There’s no doubt about it, going green is super trendy right now. Let’s take a look at the trends within this trend. Here are 5 design trends for eco-friendly homes in 2016.
- Energy efficient fixtures and features. Look out for the Energy Star label when purchasing appliances, LED when it comes to lights, and low-flow when it comes to anything water related.
- Low toxicity or VOC (volatile organic compound) rating. Look out for finishes and paints that specifically note low or zero VOC.
- Buying locally sourced materials. Going local is great for a number of reasons, a big one being that if you’re buying local, as opposed to shipping materials from further distances, you’re saving on gas use and emissions.
- Net zero energy homes. If your household consumes equal or less energy than you create, your home is considered a net zero home. This is not an easy title to garner, but doable! Net zero status can be achieved by reducing energy consumption and utilizing renewable energy options, such as solar power.
- Organic decor. Organic home decor is not so different than organic food or medicine in that it refers to furniture and accessories that are manufactured free of pesticides and chemicals. Further, organic decor is produced from sustainable sources; for instance, bamboo.
The following two tabs change content below.
Canadian Home Trends magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos across Canada. You'll be inspired by a selection of accessible home décor products, trend reports, simple yet stylish DIY projects, and much more. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you've always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, colour palette and furniture pairings, and Canada's best places to shop.
Latest posts by Canadian Home Trends (see all)
- What Are Cost-Effective Ways to Raise Your Property Value? - June 8, 2023
- What to Do if Your Home Has Been Vandalized - June 8, 2023
- Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair - June 8, 2023
Leave a Comment